Cadillac in Southern Ontario
December 01, 2020, 02:12:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Road to Eldorado: The 1967-1970 Cadillac Eldorado  (Read 3677 times)
Coupe deVille
« on: December 24, 2009, 03:49:34 PM »

When this car debuted in the fall of 1966, many Cadillac loyalists were no doubt puzzled. Not only was it the sportiest Cadillac in many a year, it was also the division's most technically daring effort in recent memory, featuring that most unusual feature: front-wheel drive.

THE SLEEPING GIANT

Since at least the 1950s, General Motors has tended to lag well behind its rivals when it comes to product development. With a few exceptions, every time GM has entered a new market segment, it's had to be dragged kicking and screaming into it by a handful of determined executives -- usually after watching the competition sell hundreds of thousands of cars.

The corporation's reticence to innovate was not entirely illogical. When you control nearly 50% of the market, with some models selling more than a million units a year, the need to explore niche markets is not nearly as strong as it would be if you were a scrappy independent. If your bread-and-butter cars are selling so strongly, why divert resources to low-volume "specialty" models?

http://ateupwithmotor.com/component/content/article/185.html

CDV

guidematic
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:59:23 PM »

Good article...

Maybe someday I will be fortunate enough to own a '68.

Mike

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading

1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169 - Lucille
1987 Brougham 6DW69 - Victoria
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69 - Vera
1991 Seville STS 6KY69 - Clara
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69 - Joan
1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 1BL52
Coupe deVille
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:19:27 PM »

I found a new website with some good articles ( well written and seem to have some interesting facts, some of which likely can be disputed ), certainly some fascination with GM cars and Cadillac , after all with 50 % market share must have been doing something right.

Also needed a push by the other 2 members of the "Big 3" to get off their ass ( not that GM wasn't innovative but when they missed the mark and the competition hit the mark they would get caught up in a hurry ), copy them and beat them with their version of the competition's new product.

CDV

guidematic
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 12:00:33 AM »

GM was very innovative at least until the early 60's when their Corvair and even the rope shaft Tempest caused some grief for them. After that they became quite conservative. GM had a very long list of innovations, in all areas.

I suppose the Eldorado Brougham debacle did cost them a lot, but oh what wonderful cars they were! At least until the bean counters caught up with them. The exuberance and the sky is the limit outlook of the fifties will never be seen again.

Mike

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading

1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169 - Lucille
1987 Brougham 6DW69 - Victoria
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69 - Vera
1991 Seville STS 6KY69 - Clara
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69 - Joan
1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 1BL52
Coupe deVille
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 12:24:30 AM »

Eldorado Brougham, they sold for $ 13K and GM lost $ 10 on each one ?

I swear, must have been 5 years old ( 1960 ) neighbor had a visitor and they had a ride with fins and a silver top - 57-58 Eldo Brougham.

So what, the build #'s were so small - pocket change but at any rate they over reached on that project. Would be nice to hear the real story behind the Eldorado Brougham, never read much about that model.

59-60 Brougham build #'s were ridiculous - 99 built in 1960 ?

Always JDZ and the Pontiac GTO, Bill Mitchell and the Corvette Stingray, etc.

What else is new ? MB is losing their ass on the Maybach, grandiose cars hatched when times are good and profits are fat, launched when the next depression starts - same old.

Cadillac V 16 was fun, good press for GM & Cadillac just before they went bankrupt. Stunning car though, would never have been a profitable venture to build.

You need these cars though, even if they lose $$$ like the XLR - maybe the XLR turned a profit - Cadillac Corvette built on the Vette platform and assembled at the Vette plant. Maybe they broke even .......

CDV

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: