Cadillac in Southern Ontario
October 27, 2020, 10:50:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The CAR WIZARD shares the top CADILLAC Cars TO Buy & NOT to Buy  (Read 1165 times)
CDV 429

« on: October 30, 2019, 12:43:30 PM »

For your amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCnTw6nunc&feature=em-uploademail

Porter
guidematic
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 10:54:12 PM »

Interesting. By now we know what to buy and what not to buy. But there's the 3.6 again. That engine is in everything.

Mike

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading

1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169 - Lucille
1987 Brougham 6DW69 - Victoria
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69 - Vera
1991 Seville STS 6KY69 - Clara
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69 - Joan
1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 1BL52
CDV 429

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »

All the auto companies have engines you want to avoid like the Ford Triton and the Ford Fusion with a 2.3 L , its good to know so you don't get stuck with one. Apparently the GM 3.6L has some issues. It seems like head gaskets are eventually an issue on all of the aluminum block engines from all the auto companies.

Rene got the good engine in his CTS, was that a 3.0L ?

Nice that he actually likes some of the Cadillac's just so long as they have reliable engines, that's what you want in a good used car to buy. Any mechanic that works on all these various brands knows what cars are good or bad or have good or bad engines.

Porter
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:32:16 PM by CDV 429 » Logged
guidematic
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 08:51:11 AM »

It seems the 3.6 is a dog, one to stay away from. But I have heard that it's largely owners using the wrong oil that messes up the VT actuator that leads to all the timing chain problems. However, this actuator as a common issue right from the get go with these engines.

Mike

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading

1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169 - Lucille
1987 Brougham 6DW69 - Victoria
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69 - Vera
1991 Seville STS 6KY69 - Clara
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69 - Joan
1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 1BL52
CDV 429

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »

Likely your comments are correct, people not maintaining their engines properly. BMW, Nissan , Toyota , Ford etc. have had issues with some of their engines, same for GM when they launched the Vortec, it sounded like a diesel engine when you started it, they claimed its not an issue so you get an attorney and GM would buy it back from you. The first full size Toyota pickup truck the camshafts were breaking / snapping. Some of these used car don't walk run ........... these new engines all use 0W-20 oil and they consume oil big time. I don't call that progress, the electric power grids couldn't handle 100 % electric cars so we'll see where this goes.

And at one time the GM 3.6L V6 was bulletproof so go figure.

Porter
KevinW

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 05:55:21 PM »

I don't think it's fair to group all 3.6s together (LY7, LLT, LFX, LGX).  The 3.6 in the CT6 doesn't even share the same bore centres as earlier versions.

Has the Car Wizard misdiagnosed leaking intake manifold gaskets on 4.x engines as head gasket failures?  Why would a Northstar in an SRX be any more difficult to service than a Northstar in a 2005-2010 STS?  They never made any 2003-2007 CTSes with a 4 cylinder engine, just like they never made an XLR with an LS motor.

0W-20 can work with the correct design.  The problem is all the complexity/optimizations with modern, high specific output engines leaves very little margin for maintenance lapses, fuel/oil quality variation in the field, atypical driving schedules, etc. over the long haul. 
CDV 429

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 06:42:48 PM »

Well , its gives us a little conversation to critique his comments. Yes the XLR never had an LS engine. Having said that I would like to own an XLR, its a Corvette with a N*S and a different body with a retractable hardtop, the Allante has too many issues to deal with.

Porter
KevinW

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »

According to a recent video on the Hoovie's Garage YouTube Channel, the Car Wizard just bought Tyler's 1993 STS, a recent acquisition from Florida.
CDV 429

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 07:06:29 AM »

I bought a new 1993 ETC and it was a great car, very fast , nice styling, nice handling, luxury. I sold it to a friend of mine with 36 K, the tranny went fubar at 100 K and some time there after it had the head gasket issue , exhaust gases in the coolant ? Those models back in the day had a shelf life if you will. Then again back in the 70's a friend of mine called it the 100 K mile club, the odometer didn't go past 100K for a reason, typically at that point most cars went to the boneyard. I have 188,000 K on my 1990 SBC and it still runs good. GM addressed the head gasket issue at the tail end but like the HT 4100 engine the damage was done. Actually I should have bought the 1993 Fleetwood like Mike and Gareth have but I wanted a sporty Cadillac and I already had a 1990 ETC but the 1991 would be ideal with the 4.9L.

If I knew better I would have bought the 1993 Eldorado with the 4.9L like Rene has - but it was a totally different car, a column shift and a downgraded interior but Rene converted his and he did a nice job with the ETC conversion parts. He has a custom ride now with a new paint job and he bought the car cheap , a shame he couldn't fit that generator in the Eldo he sold to Jon and drive that to the car show so he drove his nice CTS- that was a great venue for the car show, the big three luxury cars. I gave Rene the high honor or being the CISO MVP this year with two Cadillac ROTY-A's for a few reasons, he didn't like the new plaque design so he got the last one of the old design and one of the new design, that's appropriate for his CTS so things fall into place sometimes.

Its a crap shoot with these new cars, wait a few years and see how good they are or what kind of issues they have and get a deal on a used one. If the engine is a dog don't walk run.

Porter
CDV 429

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 09:01:21 AM »

Why did the the CAR WIZARD buy a Cadillac with a Northstar V8?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLi_1N4P7XI&feature=em-uploademail

Porter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: