Cadillac in Southern Ontario
October 27, 2020, 09:22:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the Gasoline Car to the EV is Like the Horse to the Car  (Read 1025 times)
CDV 429

« on: October 11, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »

If Nikola Telsa had his way we would have had electric cars 100 years ago, GM was way ahead of its time with the EV1 and they invested one billion dollars on the R&D and they just tossed it into the dustbin of history but they needed better battery technology. At one time it was ICE engines versus steam and electric and then the ICE cars got better with Cadillac and the electric starter. Electric cars are the future guys.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-10-10/why-gasoline-car-ev-horse-car

Porter

EAM

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 03:30:32 PM »

If Nikola Telsa had his way we would have had electric cars 100 years ago, GM was way ahead of its time with the EV1 and they invested one billion dollars on the R&D and they just tossed it into the dustbin of history but they needed better battery technology. At one time it was ICE engines versus steam and electric and then the ICE cars got better with Cadillac and the electric starter. Electric cars are the future guys.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-10-10/why-gasoline-car-ev-horse-car

Porter
No way for electric cars; what happens if and when you run out of electricity while you're way out in the country or in no-man's  land; at least we can carry a can of gasoline in our trunk.   EAM

EAM
CDV 429

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 06:33:04 PM »

We'll see, better battery technology is on the way and more charging stations, all the big companies are investing in electric cars . Good to see you back at the forum.

Porter
Ronnie

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 08:02:45 PM »

I would love to own a battery powered car but they are extremely expensive. I saw a Hyundai Kona electric SUV which is about
the size I would want but for $46,00 for the base and $56 loaded they can keep it and anyone who would pay $40,000 for a dinky
toy like the Prius is either wealthy or a fool. 
What happens when the car's batteries need replacing ? They will cost almost as much as the car to replace. Several years ago I
bought a new Home Lite battery powered lawn mower. It was about $400. I thought is was great until it needed a new battery 4
years later. The new battery cost was pushing $300 with tax so I charged it up. parked it at the curb on garbage day with a sign
that said "FREE 4 YEARS OLD". That was the last time I ever saw it, good riddance.

RON

'85 Eldorado Biarritz
'15 Chevy Malibu
'19 Buick Encore
'49 Coupe deVille convert 1/18 scale
CDV 429

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 07:28:28 AM »

A guy in my town has a Chevy Bolt, he really likes it and gets 250 miles on a charge. They really aren't that small, its like a crossover vehicle. I've read about Prius battery replacements after ten years and the cost wasn't too bad but that's a hybrid.

I've been told they are working on new battery technology with a product called graphene but the electric cars are the way of the future, they'll get the price down with mass production but the batteries are the key.

Porter

guidematic
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 08:30:18 AM »

I did a tour of the Toyota plant in Woodstock, ON. They build the RAV 4 there in both regular and hybrid. I was told that battery is $2,300 retail, and it fit under the back seat.

Mike

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading

1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169 - Lucille
1987 Brougham 6DW69 - Victoria
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69 - Vera
1991 Seville STS 6KY69 - Clara
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69 - Joan
1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 1BL52
CDV 429

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 09:28:43 AM »

Right, the hybrid car batteries aren't that expensive but a total electric car that's a different story but these people don't keep their cars for ten years anyway. Some of the Tesla's batteries have gone 150 K , at that point they will still take a charge but will have a lower lasting charging capacity but they are way too expensive of a car. GM, Ford and VW will leave Tesla in the dust once they tool up for mass production. We have to keep up with the times if even just for our amusement.

I use the 18650 lithium ion batteries in flashlights , the higher the Mah the longer they last when you use them , they take 100's of charges but they lose their longevity at some point and don't last long after a charge. My understanding is the Tesla battery pack is just 100's or so of 18650 Mah batteries.

We live in interesting times ...........

Porter
Ronnie

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 01:42:10 PM »

I agree that one day the price of an hybrid or all electric car will come down enough that those cars will be affordable to everyone
but that won't be anytime soon.
I remember when digital watches first came on the market. They were gold with a red dial and when you pushed the button the
time lit up. Pam bought me one for gift and back then it was $150, which was expensive. Within a few years they were giving them
away in boxes of Cracker Jacks. It will be more than a few years but those car prices will come down as well.

RON

'85 Eldorado Biarritz
'15 Chevy Malibu
'19 Buick Encore
'49 Coupe deVille convert 1/18 scale
CDV 429

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 08:30:08 AM »

You can buy a new Toyota Prius or Corolla hybrid for $ 24K so they are affordable. Honda and Toyota are still promoting their fuel cell cars but there aren't many refill stations, only CA. has them AFAIK. I know a mechanic on YOO TOOB and he has two Chevy Volts, the old model and the new model and he really likes them.

https://www.toyota.com/?srchid=sem:Brand_Toyota:MICROSOFT:Brand_General_EXACT::&msclkid=823bf94a689c189700cca4e203036e26&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand_Toyota&utm_term=toyota&utm_content=Brand_General_EXACT&gclid=CPersaSyo-UCFWizswodEhsPDg&gclsrc=ds

Porter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: