Cadillac in Southern Ontario
December 16, 2018, 08:12:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel Mystery Oil and Top Tier Gasoline Usage  (Read 4012 times)
CDV 429

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »

MMO is an old school product. Basically AFAIK its a detergent oil of sorts and it has a nice wintergreen smell. Some guys like to add a little ATF to their engine oil. I use ATF or MMO squirted into the carburetor for a little engine de- carbonizing on small engines. Usually before an oil change you are a little low, you can add some ATF or MMO for the last 100 miles or so to clean up the engine a tad. It has many uses, you can add it to your gas too. Some mechanics say you can de - carbonize your engine by using water sprayed into the carburetor and basically what it does is it creates steam in the combustion chamber. Now the experts like Mike " The Wizard " as some call him can weigh in. I have many small one cylinder engines that are old but run like new, I've been re torquing the head bolt gaskets with my new clicker torque wrench and those head bolts do loosen up, they actually recommend you remove the flat head and clean the piston top and the valves with wire brushes and replaces the head gasket after so many hours, I would like to do that to some of my one cylinder engines. They start easily and run sweet if you keep after them, stay away from the ethanol gas or shut you gas tank petcock and drain the carb before you store it for the off season.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/our-history/

CDV 429
guidematic
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 09:25:56 PM »

I have never put much stock in additives, but I have made that clear for quite some time. There are all too many snake oil products out there. Maybe there was a time that there was a benefit with MMO, but engines from the 20's and 30's were a very different from those of today.

With this whole thread EAM, I have to wonder you're motivation. Will all of Canada be saved from this? We have never had it here, yet we seem to get along just fine without it. Pouring light mineral oil into our tanks will do nothing, even if it does have that sweet wintergreen smell.

Mike

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading

1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169 - Lucille
1987 Brougham 6DW69 - Victoria
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69 - Vera
1991 Seville STS 6KY69 - Clara
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69 - Joan
1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 1BL52
EAM

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 06:42:58 AM »

I have never put much stock in additives, but I have made that clear for quite some time. There are all too many snake oil products out there. Maybe there was a time that there was a benefit with MMO, but engines from the 20's and 30's were a very different from those of today.

With this whole thread EAM, I have to wonder you're motivation. Will all of Canada be saved from this? We have never had it here, yet we seem to get along just fine without it. Pouring light mineral oil into our tanks will do nothing, even if it does have that sweet wintergreen smell.

Mike
  MIKE:  My motivation is to try and pass on the benefit I have already received by using MMO in four different cars which gradually has kept those engines purring like a kitten; however, if this product wasn't good for our engines then I would need an explanation why it has been selling so well since 1923 to millions of car owners. Let us wait until Ron makes his trip back and forth from Florida.  Most times when I go into Wal-Mart to get a couple of bottles they are out but restocked soon enough.  All I can say is to each his/her own, don't use it if you do not have any interest. Just because it is not readily available in Canada doesn't make it snake oil; hope you try it someday.  EAM

EAM
CDV 429

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »

I like MMO, it has other uses around the garage, its basically a detergent oil, it has other uses besides adding it your crankcase oil like for lubricating tools that move. I use it for small one cylinder engines, add a few ounces to the crankcase when you are low and after a few run hours before you change the oil. Yeah, it has that nice wintergreen smell too .......... LOL Some guys ATF that way before an oil change. Its like a Ford, some guys swear at them and some swear by them.
If you like your Ford you can have your Ford.

Porter  Grin
RONNIE

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2018, 07:58:34 PM »

I just got an issue of Princess Auto's latest 2 week sale, Oct 2-Oct 14. It is showing that Marvel Mystery Oil is available here. $8.99 for a 946 ml (1 qt.) bottle.
That's rather expensive $9 x 4 = $36 gal. plus taxes ($42 gal). If it's available in gallons it could be cheaper and I wonder if that would be a true gallon (4.54 L)
or the much smaller U.S.gallon ? I don't care how good it is, or isn't, at that price it can stay on the store's shelves.

RON
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:02:33 PM by RONNIE » Logged

'85 Eldorado Biarritz
'09 Dodge Caliber
'15 Chevy Malibu
CDV 429

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2018, 08:23:09 PM »

I use it for a variety of reasons FWIW but its not that expensive here in the states $ 3.88 for a qt. Like any product you have to see how it works for you. Lets not get Mike all wound up on oil additives, some people swear by them and some swear at them. Lucas oil has some good additive products and they are well accepted. If your drive train is in good shape and you change your fluids regularly you don't need any additives. 

Walmart has their own products and they sell a " Supertech " brand of synthetic oil that meets the SAE or Devos spec's ?  Supertech brand carb cleaner and brakekleen for $ 2.00 a can and I stock up on that.

The factory oil specification for a new Corvette or a Porsche is Mobil One, I use that in my engines but I'm okay with the Walmart Supertech synthetic oil lately. Ever since I started using synthetic 5W 30 in my SBC the oil consumption decreased by 50 % , you don't have change the oil as often and you get easier cold starts in the winter time, especially for a snow thrower but to each their own.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marvel-MM13R-Mystery-Oil-32-oz/16889008

Porter
CDV 429

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2018, 08:35:13 PM »

I just got an issue of Princess Auto's latest 2 week sale, Oct 2-Oct 14. It is showing that Marvel Mystery Oil is available here. $8.99 for a 946 ml (1 qt.) bottle.
That's rather expensive $9 x 4 = $36 gal. plus taxes ($42 gal). If it's available in gallons it could be cheaper and I wonder if that would be a true gallon (4.54 L)
or the much smaller U.S.gallon ? I don't care how good it is, or isn't, at that price it can stay on the store's shelves.

RON

I'll send you a qt. , well, when you least expect it and you can play around with it, its addictive for some of us motor heads. It must be that wintergreen aroma that captivates me ............ LOL  Some guys like to use ATF in the same vein, dump a qt. in your crankcase a qt. low and a 100 miles before an oil change to clean out the engine, I squirt into one cylinder engines while running a few times at a fast idle or rev it up a tad and that works for me, ATF is like a detergent oil, it seems to clean up the combustion chamber a little bit and make the engine run smoother, remove a little carbon. Sea Foam ? You can do the same thing with H20, it just creates hot steam in the combustion chamber, squirt a little H20 into the carb at a fast idle.

Porter
CDV 429

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2018, 07:34:58 PM »

I agree with this guy, I like the product but how you use it is your business.

The Truth About Marvel Mystery Oil for Your Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU-QQbQEPfs&t=112s

That settles that ......... LOL

Porter  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: