Cadillac in Southern Ontario
July 19, 2018, 06:10:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LT1 Lean issue  (Read 109 times)
Jon
Global Moderator

« on: June 08, 2018, 07:40:23 PM »

So I've been having an issue on the 96 for a few weeks.  I suppose I'll back up a bit and tell the story from the beginning:
Last November I had the Check Engine light which revealed a P0157 (Bank 2 Sensor 2 Low O2 Sensor Voltage).  I cleared the codes and it never came back until May.
What I noticed was my fuel economy is getting better, when I'm driving I have low power in the 0%-20% Throttle position but when I go up to 40% and high Throttle it surges to life.  Since most of my drive is highway it's not really causing a problem but I want to fix it.
I hooked up a scan tool today and found it has both P0137 and P0157 (Bank 1 and Bank 2 Rear sensor codes) and the O2 sensor readings are too low (0mV for Bank 1 and 15mV for Bank 2).  When the exhaust is cold the sensor slowly goes down to 0 so I know the circuit isn't bad.
The Fuel trim was 0% on Bank 1 and 3% on Bank 2.
I didn't see any problems with TPS reading, it seemed smooth all the way through pedal travel.
The Service manual points to a couple options:
1. Leaky exhaust (some small leaks where I put the new pipes on,  but that's downstream of the sensor and I don't see it affecting the driveability).
2. Sensor Wire,  but again, it shouldn't affect driveability and both sides are low.
3. Lean injectors, but it would be a coincidence if both sides have lean injectors
4. Fuel pump pressure.  This one seems to be able to explain the driveability and the low voltage on both sides,  but I thought a low fuel pressure condition would cause worse driveability at higher RPM where I'm seeing plenty of power.
5. Bad Sensor,  which is strange for both sides to go, and I don't think these sensors are affecting fuel trim so it doesn't explain the driveability issue.

I checked the misfire data and even when I have it under load and partial throttle (standing on brake pedal in gear with a slightly raised RPM) it feels like it's stumbling but all cylinders are reporting no misfires using the scan tool.
Any thoughts?   I haven't been able to find anyone around here with a fuel pressure gauge and I haven't gone out and bought one yet.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 07:42:45 PM by Jon » Logged

68 Buick Wildcat Custom Convertible 455 4bbl (Wild Kitty)
85 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (Chester)
92 Buick Roadmaster Wagon (Peach)
96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Collector's Edition (Rocky)
GM Engineering
madcaddyman

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 08:20:33 AM »

If it was a LO5 I'd say timing but being an LT1 it's unlikely. I've seen something like this before but I can't remember if it was a GM or Ford, but it was a pick-up & a new crank censor corrected the issue. Maybe FPR, low rpm its restricted but high rpm the diaphragm opens up? Sorry I can't be more help.

Rene

98 STS 4.6 Sold
95 Fleet 5.7 Sold
94 Fleet X2 5.7 Sold
93 Eldo 4.9 Curent
93 Allante 4.6 Sold
93 Seville 4.9 RIP
93 Fleet X3 5.7 Sold
93 STS X2 4.6 Sold
90 Eldo 4.5 Convert Sold
89 Fleet 4.5 RIP
88 Deville 4.5 RIP
86 Deville 4.1/4.5 Sold
86 Fleet 4.1 Sold
84 Eldo Convert 4.1 Sold
EXCRUISERGUY
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »

Have you checked the temperature sensor at the water pump?

GJ

Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

1993 Sedan De Ville
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
1996 DeVille Concours
1982 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance  SOLD
KevinW

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »

Are those fuel trims Block Learn or Integrator values?  These parameters may not be reliable if the system isn't entering closed-loop, which requires a number of conditions to be met, one of which is an oxygen sensor voltage above a certain value within a range of throttle positions.

Downstream exhaust leaks will cause a lean-bias in the sensor readings due to reversion.

Fuel system delivery is probably fine if it runs strongly at high throttle positions.
Jon
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 12:42:52 PM »

The system was in closed loop while I was monitoring the values.
I did a full clean of the MAF today and it seems to be driving better, I didn't feel any hesitation. I'll need to do a few drives before I'm confident the driveability is good.
I rechecked the values and the O2 readings are 8mV for Bank 1 and ~30mV Bank 2.
It's still low but it has gone up.
The 8mV for Bank 1 was not fluctuating at all while Bank 2 was bouncing around a little bit.

GM Engineering
KevinW

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »

Are those Sensor 1 or Sensor 2 readings?  Post-cat O2 voltages are just used to monitor catalyst efficiency, not for closed-loop fuel control.

A dirty MAF would result in B/L values well above 128 at part throttle while in C/L.
Jon
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »

The next time I get a chance to work on it I'll try and seal the exhaust leaks.
It's the post cat sensors so they are not controlling the A/F ratio.
I've got exhaust leaks on both sides so hopefully this issue was a mixture of exhaust leaks and dirty MAF.

GM Engineering
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: