Cadillac in Southern Ontario
December 17, 2017, 07:28:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Cadillac Super Cruise  (Read 402 times)
KevinW

« on: June 29, 2017, 06:26:12 PM »

https://www.slashgear.com/cadillac-super-cruise-first-drive-trusting-the-machine-29490101/

So just what is Cadillac capable of? Super Cruise starts from the existing adaptive cruise control, true, but it upgrades it to the point that the automaker – and their lawyers – are willing to describe it as “the first hands-free” system. While the adaptive cruise keeps pace with traffic ahead, Super Cruise handles the car’s lateral movement within the lane.

They call it the “Blue Line” and it’s basically the semi-autonomous equivalent of the groove a slot-car runs down. On the one hand, there are forward-facing cameras in the CT6 which track where the left and right lane markings are, and figure out an estimate of the center line and the car’s current heading. On the other, there’s a supercharged GPS sensor, 4-8x more accurate than what’s typically fitted to a vehicle; that works hand-in-hand with a high-accuracy map which has details of road curvature, the number of lanes, where on- and off-ramps are, and any other pertinent information Cadillac has baked in.

Such a map didn’t exist, and so Cadillac had to create it. In fact, it’s had all the divided, limited-access highways with defined on- and off-ramps in the US and Canada scanned with LIDAR laser scanners, 160,000 miles down to a resolution of under 4-inches. The GPS checks the map while the cameras check the road, and if the two agree then the CT6 clings to the “Blue Line” like a train on rails.
guidematic
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 06:02:41 AM »

I would have to say that I would be very uncomfortable taking my hands off the wheel and letting the car do it's own thing. I think I would enter panic mode if I was a passenger in a car where the driver did same.

Mike

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading

1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169 - Lucille
1987 Brougham 6DW69 - Victoria
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69 - Vera
1991 Seville STS 6KY69 - Clara
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69 - Joan
1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 1BL52
RONNIE
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 07:16:22 AM »

The idea of hands free driving has been around for years. I read about it in a Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazine
when I was a kid many years ago. All I can remember was that they said the cars would be guided by sensors embedded along
edges of the road way. I don't remember how they said you could choose your route. I suppose it could work on a  long distance
highway trip but certainly not in the city. It's not something I would be comfortable with either and I definitely would not endorse
the idea.

RON

'85 Eldorado Biarritz
'09 Dodge Caliber
'15 Chevy Malibu
guidematic
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 09:08:43 AM »

It's an idea that has been around since the late 40's, but there simply hasn't been the technology, or the will, to do it. In this day and age of really bad drivers, mostly fuelled by the ever encroaching nanny devices in our cars, autonomous cars could actually make the roads safer.

But, it lowers the standards to the lowest common denominator, and penalises those that enjoy driving, and are actually very good at it.

Mike

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading

1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169 - Lucille
1987 Brougham 6DW69 - Victoria
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69 - Vera
1991 Seville STS 6KY69 - Clara
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69 - Joan
1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 1BL52
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: